Services available at Southwest Functional Medicine:
– New patient visits are between 1 to 3 hours
– Follow-up visits are between 30 to 90 minutes
Learn more about becoming a patient
- To learn more about the Autism Biomed Center program click here
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (or HBOT) involves breathing high concentrations of oxygen
in a pressurized room or tube. In a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber, the air pressure is increased from 1.3X to 3.0X normal air pressure. Under these conditions, your lungs can gather more oxygen than would be possible breathing pure oxygen at normal air pressure. Your blood carries this oxygen throughout your body, especially your brain. This helps fight bacteria and stimulates the release of substances called growth factors and stem cells, which promote healing. HBOT is an effective adjunctive treatment for some individuals with autism.
- It is well known that the modern environment is toxic, with an ever increasing number of chemicals and pollutants being produced. The nervous system and immune system seem to be the most vulnerable to exposures of toxins. Our bodies have an innate capacity to neutralize and remove toxins, especially the liver, but in some individuals this innate capacity can be decreased secondary to a physiological imbalance, genetic mutation or may be simply overwhelmed by the sheer number of toxins present in the modern environment. These individuals will require assistance for optimal detoxification. Detoxification is a subject largely ignored in medical school, but there are many techniques available to remove toxins from the body, including oral and intravenous therapies.
- for developmental disorders (ASD and ADHD)
- for neurodegenerative disorders (Parkinson’s, dementia, multiple sclerosis etc.)
- Pre-conception care is the ultimate preventive medicine. This was originally conceived
to prevent miscarriage and treat infertility, it is now being utilized to reduce the incidence of developmental disorders through education and treatment the parents prior to conception. Our genes and their expression is profoundly effected by environment. This is the growing field of epigenetics. We can aim to improve birth outcomes by minimizing negative environmental factors and maximizing health potential through doing a comprehensive metabolic evaluation and then prescribing a nutritional and lifestyle protocol.
- BIA is an important part of any nutrition and health assessment. This tool measures
body composition (percentage of body fat in relation to lean body mass). Our medical- grade analyzer produces readings which are far more accurate than standard consumer analyzers used in most gyms and health clubs.
If you are seeking a service not listed here, please contact us here for more information.